Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Independence Day 2006?

This day in history was once a day of celebration but no longer can we celebrate our freedom as the tyrannical rulers who occupy our White House continue to remove and deny the freedom given to us from the blood of our forefathers. Red, white and blue drape the homes on the quiet streets in my neighborhood, masking the horror we have unleashed, unprovoked in Iraq. Fireworks light up the dark sky in celebration of our independence as we pretend to wipe the violent occupation of Iraq from our minds.

Our illegal government wants us to believe the brave men and women of the military fight in Iraq to defend our right to a free life here at home. Bullshit! The only danger to our freedom is Bush and his band of merry men. They preach fear through lies while draping themselves in red, white and blue, desecrating the flag.

The make believe life of freedom in America goes on, round and round, weaving us all in a web of deception. The ignorance and silence of people all around me frightens me. If I can see it, why can’t they? And if they do, why are they not doing anything about it? But what am I doing to restore the freedoms stolen from my children? Maybe everyone else just feels helpless like me.

But, wait, I see hope. Hurray for CODEPINK and women like Medea Benjamin who are bringing attention and giving a voice to the anti war majority. Tonight they do not celebrate with fireworks but instead fast in protest in front of the White House. I see hope in their courage and action and believe we cannot and will not sit in despair and be silent much longer.
Meg

2 Comments:

Blogger Wake Up America said...

Right on Meg! This is a tough day to stomach. I just hope a lot of the people joining in on the festivities are quietly waiting for the November elections to express their outrage.
Brian

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, sistah.

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home